Red lentils are arguably the most popular of the lentil variety being a favourite in dishes such as red lentil curries, stews and soups. Their short cooking time and ease of use makes them a family favourite. Lentils, a staple food in Indian homes and Indian Cooking, they are the seeds of plants of the ‘Leguminosae’ family. They posses the natural property of absorbing the flavours of spices added to them during the cooking process. Lentils are grown in warm temperate zones, and are an excellent source of protein and fibre. With an extremely low fat content, they make a healthy and nutritious meal for everyone and are a very good vegetarian alternative to meat dishes in Indian cooking.
How to Cook?
- Sort through and discard any hardened kernels.
- Wash in 3-4 changes of clean water.
- Soak in enough water to cover for at least 10 mins.
- Replace water with fresh water, bring to the boil and boil for at least 10 minutes.
- Simmer for 30 mins or until tender ensuring that the saucepan does not run dry.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- This product may contain a trace of nuts
- Store in a cool, dry place, in an airtight container.